Press Law is the most significant legal matter of Media Law as it dates back to the invention of typography and shows therefore the longest history. Based on Press Law other areas of Media Law, such as Broadcasting Law were developed.
Sec. 5 Para 1 sentence 2 of the German Constitution embodies the freedom of press. Based on this evolved the information and disclosure rights of the press, the protection of journalistic sources and the editorial confidentiality. On the other side duties are incumbent upon the press in research and reporting. The particular sensitivity of this legal matter is to put the constitutional rights of the press, the public's interest in information and the privacy rights of the persons concerned in a balanced ratio.
Our activity in the field of Press Law extends in particular to:
- Judicial and extra-judicial assertion/defense of claims for injunctive relief, for counterstatement and for retraction
- Judicial and extra-judicial assertion/defense of claims for damages and for pecuniary compensation
- Extrajudicial and judicial representation in connection with untrue or defamatory statements outside of press releases or media
- Extrajudicial and judicial representation in the enforcement/defense of information claims
- Deposit of protective letters
- Contracts (drafting, negotiation and legal review of contracts)
- False reporting
- Statements of fact
- Statements of opinion
- Protection of the General Law on the Personality
- Protection of personality rights
- Protection of the rights to enterprise
- Protection of the rights to the name
- Protection of the rights to the personal image
- Protection of the rights to spoken word
- Satire and cartoons
- Reporting based on suspicion
- Product testing
- Legal examinations of editorial posts, ads, etc.
Given the wealth of experience from many years of dealing with Press Law and Freedom of Speech mandates, the attorneys of the LAW FIRM THOMAS KAMMERL are familiar with the characteristics of this particular legal matter and with the case law of the judicial press formations to ensure an efficient and strategic advice to the client.